One of the first senses developed within the womb is that of touch. Touch is a new-born’s first language, their instinctive way to communicate to mother or father. Touch through massage and soft stretches can also alleviate the effects of postnatal depression and helps parents have a positive interaction with their baby. After about 2 months of giving your baby light, intuitive massage from birth, their physiological flexion that has kept their arms and legs in a semi-foetal position should be reduced. At this stage its perfect timing to introduce a more structured massage routine.
Why massage your baby
It can help to stimulate circulation, release stress, improves muscle tone, improve sleeping patterns, reduces discomfort from colic, gas and constipation, strengthen digestive, circulatory, and intestinal systems, improve body awareness, stimulates right/left brain development and coordination, increases sense of being loved and acceptance, empower mums and dads to get to understand their babies…..and make you and your baby laugh (that would be the endorphins flowing).
What will you learn in a typical class: – tips for common baby ailments:
Upside-down I Love U
- Start by drawing an upside-down letter “I” (move your hand down and move up) on the right side of your baby’s belly. That is where the descending colon is.
- Next, do the letter “L” starting from the top left of your baby’s belly and finishing down on the right.
- Finish by drawing the letter “U” upside-down around the navel.
- Say I love You to your baby while you do it.
- The Sun – Start by doing a continuous clockwise circle around your baby’s belly button with your left hand using your middle and index fingers. This is the Sun.
- The Moon – Then do a half circle from left to right above the the navel using your left hand. Whenever the sun hand is below the navel the moon travels above the navel.
- Then finish off with holding baby’s ankles and gently press their legs towards the chest and hold for for few seconds. Repeat several times.
Massage can help relieve congestion and help a baby breathe more easily. Using your fingertips, apply gentle pressure on the sinus points which are alongside the bridge of the nose and down the sides of the nose. Then draw a line with your fingers along the ridge of the cheekbones towards the ears. The lymph nodes are here to help drain away blocked mucos
Coming into your home is an intimate experience especially shared with other mums and babies within your friends group. Nafisa will start a class with introductions, gentle mums warm up exercises and talk through any areas mums would like to know more about within the sessions. Each week you will massage different areas of your baby and Nafisa will demonstrate using a baby doll. Each class will be a combination of massage techniques, positions and soft stretches with nursery rhymes to engaged your baby.Each Course runs for 4-5 weeks for about an hour. They can be held as a group in the privacy of your own home. Great way to make friends or keeping in touch with mothers / NCT groups.