How may reflexology help with fertility?
There are many factors affecting fertility, your health, your emotions and your lifestyle. This is where complementary therapies such as, reflexology, acupuncture in combination with herbs, nutritional and lifestyle advice, may help by creating the optimum conditions for conception. Complementary therapists may help.
- Regulating fertility hormones
- Increasing blood flow to the reproductive organs
- Increasing egg and sperm production
- Reducing the effects of stress hormones on reproduction
- Promoting embryo implantation
It still takes two to make a baby, so it is important that both partners make sure that they are achieving the optimum environment for conception to take place.
Even if you feel that you have no fertility issues and planning to conceive, acupuncture and reflexology may ensure that your body is in peak condition for your planned pregnancy.
Where should I start?
Sometimes deciding where to start on your journey to parenthood can be daunting, it is essential to make yourself a plan of action and see it through. Below are some steps that I suggest you take
- Fertility diet, this is one of the most powerful tools to help boost your fertility and prepare your body for pregnancy. Good nutrition provides the building blocks of your hormones, optimizes the health of your eggs and sperm . It is also just as important to know what foods you should reduce or avoid, going Gluten and Dairy free and reducing sugar intake.
- Supplements , preconception supplements should contain these vitamins and minerals Vitamin D,E and C, B6, B12, folic acid. Iron, selenium, zinc. You will also need to add a good antioxidant and essential fatty acids such as omega 3.
Exercise – There are very important reasons why exercise helps to keep us healthy fertile beings. Regular exercise strengthens our muscles, builds stamina, may increase flexibility, increases circulation, keeps stress, depression and anxiety at bay, and promotes regular detoxification of excess hormones and toxins in the body. It is important to exercise for at least 30 minutes, 3-4 times a week. Regular exercise also is beneficial for preparing the body for the hard work of childbirth. Exercise needs to be low-impact, moderate and done on a consistent basis.
Ideas for Exercise:
- Fertility Yoga
- Swimming Laps
Reducing stress – research has shown that excessive stress can have a negative effective on your fertility, by effecting the fertility hormones and reducing blood flow to the pelvic area. So it is important to find ways that help you to reduce your stress levels and the emotional impact of infertility. Fertility yoga, meditation, tai chi, journaling, EFT, acupuncture and reflexology or just going for a walk can be helpful.
Reflexology looks at the body holistically, taking all health and emotional factors into consideration and each treatment will be adapted accordingly; for example, a woman’s treatment would vary according to where she is in her menstrual cycle.